How to Change Your Legal Name in NADRA Pakistan (Easy Steps)

Do you want to change your legal name? If so, you need to notify the National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) by modifying your Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC). NADRA Database Marital Status Change Guide

Changing your legal name is a big decision, and it’s important to follow the correct procedure to ensure that it is done correctly. The NADRA name change procedure can be quite sensitive, so it’s important to handle it with care. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it:

Required documents for NADRA name change: 

  • NADRA name change affidavit on PKR 50 stamp paper, attested by an oath commissioner.
  • Certificate from Dar-Ul-Afta (in case of religion change only).
  • Original CNIC, SCNIC, or NICOP.

Steps on getting a NADRA name change affidavit: 

  1. Download the affidavit format (Download Affidavit for Name Change – URDU).
  2. Fill out the form with your old name, new name, father’s or husband’s name, and CNIC number.
  3. Print the affidavit on a PKR 50 stamp paper.
  4. Get the affidavit attested by an oath commissioner.

How to apply for a name change in NADRA CNIC:

  1. Visit a NADRA center and get a token.
  2. Go to the designated counter and get the CNICF.
  3. Submit the required documents and complete the biometric verification.
  4. Hand over your old CNIC so it can be canceled.
  5. Pay the fees and collect the receipt.
  6. Collect your new CNIC from the NADRA center once you receive the confirmation message.


Here is the fee breakdown for NADRA smart card and NICOP holders.

Category Normal FeeUrgent FeeExecutive Fee
CNIC ModificationPKR 400PKR 1150PKR 2150
NICOP Modification (Zone A)USD 36USD 54USD 72
Smart NICOP Modification (Zone A) USD 39USD 57USD 75
NICOP Modification (Zone B)USD 17USD 27USD 37
Smart NICOP Modification (Zone B)USD 20 USD 30USD 40

You can only change your name once, so keep that in mind. You can’t change your name or go back to your old one. But if a woman gets married or gets a divorce, the law lets her change her last name.

Leave a Comment